Landing on a place isolated from the regular hustle-bustle and seeing oneself surrounded by tall lush green trees and serene beaches rather than the monotonous skyscrapers and noisy vehicles would definitely be a holiday which helps one unleash.All one could witness in the near vicinity would be the tranquility that the scarcely populated white sand beaches would offer where one could relish the sight of several shades of blue extending infinitely.
What keeps Andaman apart from other places is that it doesn’t have many historical places/view points to visit but every part of the island is captivating and one needs to enjoy the nature, be it, the astounding marine life and the corals or the islands themselves.Andaman is a group of almost 342 islands out of which many are under the supervision of the Forest and Marine Reserve Department to ensure that the coral reefs are protected.These islands are mostly not open for tourists.However,I managed to go to one such island about which I will be describing in the next article.
Let me keep precise about the details of my trip such that it captures the entire essence while being informative as well.Since I have lots to share about the entire trip,I will take you through my experience in two different articles.
Duration: 6 days and 5 nights
Nearest Airport : Veer Savarkar International Airport,Port Blair
Day 1- Day 2 – Day 3
Places to visit:
- Andaman Cellular Jail – The historical prison is infamous for the cruelty shown towards the prisoners in 19th and 20th century.Do notice the architecture of the prison and how different wings are positioned.
- Corbyn’s Cove Beach – Sports a splendid view of the ocean .It’s slightly secluded from the city and not many people visit, due to which you can enjoy the beach even more.
- Anthropological Museum – I didn’t get time to visit it but heard that it’s worth a visit
Things to Do:
- Light and Sound Show in Cellular Jail – You need to grab tickets for it and there are different slots of 1 hr each starting from 6 pm .
- Taste naariyal paani of Andaman – Andaman is a home to many coconut trees and the coconut water is far better than Kerala as well and it could supplement your meal 😛
- Sagarika Store – If you are looking to shop for Andaman souvenirs , visit only the Govt authorized Sagarika store present in the cellular jail which is reasonable in terms of price.You might end up paying more at any other place in Port Blair.
Since it was a tour to the prison , I tried to bring in the bold look with boots and matched it with a velvet outfit.I haven’t gone too heavy with accessories ,instead , carried a sling bucket bag along with a unisex sport watch.
Top and Skirt : Forever 21
Boots : Zara
Sling bag : Colaba Causeway
Next day, we started for Havelock on a cruise.It’s a two and half hour ride from Port Blair.Do ensure that you take tickets for royal or luxury class in cruise which has a view of ocean and in case of other classes, you don’t get to see the view-it’s more like a closed room.
Places to visit:
- Elephant Beach – It’s a 15 min steamer ride from Havelock island and is known for water activities.I found it better than Radhanagar beach ,though, it’s not as famous.It’s open only from 8am-1 pm in the morning.So, plan accordingly.
- Radhanagar Beach – Apparently, top 7th best beach in world.Most of the beaches in Andaman are calm and are not too deep for at-least 1 km in the water.However,Radhanagar allows one to experience high tide but it is not too deep and pretty safe.
Things to Do:
- Snorkeling in Elephant Beach : They charge around 500-800 bucks depending upon how much you want to explore.I really loved it and hence, paid 800 bucks to see the colorful marine life.Don’t miss this. I will share a video on that pretty soon.Keep following me on Instagram to know about it.
- Scuba Diving in Havelock : Costs not more than 3000 bucks per person.One needs to experience it to see the coral life.
- Taste sea food ( I would suggest Anju Coco restaurant where you get really tasty sea food and if you are looking for cheaper food, check out squid restaurant)
- Rent a bicycle/scooty : Usually, they don’t charge more than 500 bucks per day.Havelock is a small island and is perfectly safe at all times , even during the night.Explore as much as you can.
- Stay in a resort with private beach
Corbyn’s Cove Beach
Cruise- I went quirky with kitschy layering and vibrant colored outfit. Accessorized my watch with some charm and tassel bracelets , sling bag.
Top – HnM
Trouser – Only
Accessories – Colaba Causeway
Havelock Beaches – Stayed comfortable with shorts and an off-shoulder top along with a beads chain which I styled as a choker.
Top – 20Dresses
Shorts – People
Chain – Colaba Causeway
Let me know your feedback and contact/follow me on Instagram for more information about the trip.
Photos by Rahul Kongala and Durga Pulijala
One thought on “Oh you beauty!!Andaman!!”